Fishbowl is a full-scale inventory control software that covers the basic processes of most companies. To accommodate the unique requirements of every company, there are a variety of ways to customize Fishbowl to meet a company's needs.
- 1 Module Options
- 2 Program Options
- 3 Custom Fields
- 4 User Groups/Rights
- 5 Modify report filters
- 6 Bookmark Tabs
- 7 Custom Dashboard
- 8 Quick fulfill orders
- 9 Using Multiple Tracking Methods
- 10 Customize Tables
Module options are available for most of the Fishbowl modules. Module options can be opened by clicking the Tools menu and selecting Module Options. Module options allow the module to be customized. For example, the Picking module options allow a user to specify how picks are created. The documentation for module options are located at the bottom of each module article or all of the module options can be viewed together in the Module Options article.
In addition to all of the Module Options, a few Program Options are available by clicking the Tools menu at the very top of the Fishbowl Client.
Program Options are not global. They are specific to each device. This allows personal preferences such as dark mode, which is a darker theme for Fishbowl.
- The User tab and the Server tab allow the default login information to be set for each device.
- The Email tab is used to override the default Email options for a specific device.
- The General tab contains the following options.
- The Row Height allows the height of table rows throughout Fishbowl to be adjusted.
After making changes to the Program Options click the OK button and then restart the Fishbowl Client.
Custom Fields are a great way to customize the Fishbowl software because they may hold any type of data a company desires. Custom Fields are created for a specific module and then customized to hold text, a date, quantity, money amount, a checkbox, a list, etc.
For example, a company may be in the clothing business. Aside from having a specific UOM and part description, the company decides to use the Custom Fields as a way to track Color and Size for items. They create two Lists with all of the options available for both color and size. When an employee needs to find a shirt with a specific color and size, they simply use the advanced search feature in the Part Module to pull all the items within their search parameters.
Some companies also use Custom Fields to allow minimum and maximum price parameters. For example, say a company allows their Sales Reps to sell a product at a minimum price of $45, but a maximum price of $50. So the sales rep is always aware of their limitations, the minimum and maximum prices for each item have been established as a Custom Field.
Custom Fields are for storing data for internal-use and are typically not displayed on reports. Click the Advanced Search button in any search pane to filter based on custom fields.
See Custom Field for additional information on how to create and manage Custom Fields.
Fishbowl allows administrators to have the ability to give specific rights to their users. These rights help to give proper visibility of different Fishbowl features. For example, a user may need the ability to create Purchase Orders or Sales Orders, but might not need nor should have the ability to see specific accounting reports regarding overall sales and finances of the company. Users may also have the ability to create orders, but not to finish them, thus ensuring a manager's approval before items are received or shipped.
If, for another example, a Company has multiple warehouses, Fishbowl's user groups and rights allow the company to specify which warehouse an employee has access to. This allows employees to be fixated on the inventory and processes within their warehouse and not on the inventory within another warehouse or Location Group.
The Users and User Rights video can be seen on the Training Videos page.
Modify report filters
Fishbowl allows report filters to be modified. Reports can be duplicated, renamed, placed in different folders, and saved with different default filters. See Modify report filters for more information.
- To get a custom report quote, click the Request button, or email reportsfishbowlinventory.com.
- It is also possible to create or modify reports using a program called iReport. Fishbowl does not offer support for using iReport, but does provide some initial setup help. Please see iReport and iReport FAQs.
The modules that open when Fishbowl starts can be customized for each computer user account. After opening all the desired modules, right-click on any tab and choose Save from the context menu. Now when Fishbowl starts, those tabs will automatically be opened. The same context menu also has options to close the current tab, close all tabs except the current one, close every tab, or load the saved tabs.
Fishbowl can save a customized dashboard for each user account on the computer so that every user sees the orders and information that is most relevant to them.
Quick fulfill orders
Within Fishbowl, all sales orders created need to be issued, picked, packed, and shipped. Some companies may have different people doing this process. Therefore they wish to have separate employees completing the steps mentioned above to fulfill a sales order. Or, perhaps the time between the creation of the sales order and the shipment of the sales order is great enough that the order needs to be moved separately through each module for organizational purposes. Other companies may desire to pick, pack, and ship the sales order in one swift movement. The Quick Fulfill button within Fishbowl was designed for one user to pick, pack, and ship all from the Sales Order module.
In the Quick Fulfill wizard the user may choose tracking information, pick from a specified location or tag, as well as take payment for the order.
See Quick fulfill for more information.
Using Multiple Tracking Methods
Fishbowl provides users with the ability to create and use multiple tracking methods for their company. A computer company may need the ability to track their equipment by using multiple serial numbers, while a candy company may need multiple tracking methods such as a bin or lot number and an expiration date. Or, a clothing company may need to create their own unique tracking method to track by a color or size. Tracking is specified on the Tracking tab of the Part module options.
See Create a tracking method for more information.
A table is a column and row layout that is used throughout Fishbowl to display data such as search results, order items, inventory details, and more.
Tables can be customized to fit the needs of a user. Table customization is performed by clicking on column headers, and also by right-clicking column headers to display the context menu.
Table settings are automatically saved for each Fishbowl user, so tables will load with the customized settings each time.
- Most tables in Fishbowl are searchable. To search, click the table and start typing a search term. The matching field will be highlighted.
- The order of columns can be changed by clicking on a column header and dragging it to the desired position.
- The sort order of a table can be changed by clicking on a column header. A small triangle will appear on the column header indicating that the table is now sorted by that column.
- A table can be sorted using multiple columns by holding the Ctrl key down and clicking each column header that should be included in the sort.
- Columns can be hidden by right-clicking a column header and choosing Hide This Column from the context menu.
- Additional columns can be displayed by right-clicking any column header and placing a check mark next to the desired column in the context menu.
NOTE: Some tables have many columns, so it is necessary to click More in the context menu to see all columns.
- Columns can be resized by clicking on the vertical line between column headers and dragging it to the desired position.
- A column can be resized to fit its contents by right-clicking the column header and choosing Auto Resize This Column from the context menu.
- To resize all columns to fit their contents, right-click any column header and choose Auto Resize All Columns from the context menu.
- To make all visible columns fit within the table width, right-click any column header and choose Fixed Width Table from the context menu.
Search pane records
- The bottom of each module search pane displays the number of records in the current search.
- To view the previous or next page of records, click the Left button or the Right button.
- The maximum number of rows can be increased for each user and module by clicking the Records button.
- To reset all column layouts to the default, click the Reset Layout button in the User module.