In addition to Fishbowl Anywhere, Fishbowl offers Fishbowl Hosted Services, which puts Fishbowl in the cloud, allowing customers to connect to Fishbowl from anywhere with an internet connection, even from a mobile device.
- Fishbowl handles all of the hardware and infrastructure requirements, including installing Fishbowl, backups, updating Fishbowl as requested, and more.
- Because Fishbowl is hosted, customers don't have to worry about purchasing or maintaining complex servers and networks. All that is required is an internet connection.
- For pricing, please contact your Account Sales Executive and ask about Fishbowl Hosted Services or click this Live Chat link to chat with a sales representative.
You can connect to your Fishbowl Server by following these instructions to download and install the Client Only version of Fishbowl. When the Fishbowl Client starts, enter your Fishbowl username, password, and the server address that was sent to you in the welcome email and then click Login.
For slower internet or wireless connections, the recommended method is to use remote desktop. The remote desktop window will contain everything a typical Windows computer has: a desktop, start menu, icons, etc.
- To log in via remote desktop, either open the remote desktop shortcut that was emailed to you or use Microsoft Remote Desktop on your Mac or Windows computer.
- For the Computer or PC Name, enter the server address that was sent to you in the welcome email.
- After logging in for the first time, you should change your password.
- The new password must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 7 characters in length
- Does not contain more than 2 consecutive characters from your username
- Must contain at least 3 of the following:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example: !, $, #, %)
- The size of the remote desktop window can be adjusted using the blue bar at the top of the screen.
Clicking the X will close the connection, but leave all programs running. Clicking the Windows Start button and selecting Log off will close all programs, log off the Windows user, and close the connection. As noted below, the admin account can close the connection but should not log out.
Windows admin account
In addition to the users you have purchased, there is a Windows admin account that is used for managing the server, such as installing or removing software, performing a software update, etc. The Windows admin account should never be logged off as doing so will stop your Fishbowl Server and prevent access to the application. Instead, simply close the connection by clicking the X at the top of the remote desktop window. The Windows admin account will not require a password reset (and it cannot be changed). For the best stability, we recommend only giving the Windows admin credentials to those that will be performing administrative tasks on the remote computer.
We have taken precautions to prevent unauthorized access to your personal company data, however, there are several things you can do to make it even more secure.
- Set secure passwords for all Windows accounts, Fishbowl users, and change the password for the Fishbowl admin account to something unique.
- By default, we open ports 28192 (Fishbowl Server), 3389 (Remote Desktop), 80 (insecure web traffic), and 443 (secure web traffic). Depending on your needs, we open additional ports including but not limited to 3305 (MySQL), 28193 (an alternative port for connecting to the Fishbowl Server), etc. These ports are opened to facilitate the functionality of Fishbowl and added plugins. You may always request to have these ports closed if you are no longer using a specific integration.
- By default, we block connections that come from outside of the United States. If needed, you can contact us to remove this restriction. Please note that we will require your consent in writing as this may increase your exposure to attacks from an external source.
Should you have any additional concerns, we are happy to answer any questions that you may have.