The Class module, located in the Accounting group, provides a way to categorize transactions. The Class module allows for classes to be created that may be tracked in both Fishbowl and QuickBooks. If a class is set in Fishbowl, the class will export to QuickBooks, allowing QuickBooks reports to be filtered by class.
Fishbowl Class Tracking can be enabled or disabled in the Class module options. Classes can be used to classify transactions by department, location, type of product, type of business, color, or any type of category that is useful to filter by. When class tracking is enabled in Fishbowl, a class combo box will appear in several places throughout Fishbowl, including Sales Orders, Sales Order Items, Purchase Orders, Purchase Order Items, Manufacture Orders, Work Orders, Products, and Location Groups. Below are some examples of classes being displayed in Fishbowl.
Class tracking can also be enabled in QuickBooks by opening the Accounting Company Preferences in QuickBooks. With class tracking enabled in both Fishbowl and QuickBooks, data exported from Fishbowl to QuickBooks will be classified with the appropriate class. The class will be displayed on QuickBooks reports and can be used to filter and categorize transactions. Below is an example of a class being displayed in QuickBooks.
Create a new class
Follow the steps below to create a new class.
- Open the Class module, located in the Accounting group.
- Click the New button from the module toolbar.
- To create a main class, select None in the subclass combo box.
- To create a subclass, select the appropriate parent class in the subclass combo box.
Edit, delete, or disable a class
To edit a class, highlight the class line item and click the Edit button in the module toolbar. Double-clicking a class will also bring up the edit dialog where the Class Name, Subclass, or Active Status of the class can be edited.
To delete a class, highlight the class line item and click the Delete button in the module toolbar. You may not delete a class without first deleting subclasses beneath it.
If a class cannot be deleted the class can be renamed or inactivated. To inactivate or rename a class, follow the Edit instructions above.
Some aspects of the Class module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Use class tracking
- QuickBooks can use classes for categorizing transactions. Enabling class tracking in Fishbowl will allow a class to be specified on orders and order items.
- Prompt to assign class if the default is "None"
- With this option checked, a warning will be displayed when saving or issuing an order if an item does not have a class.
- Force user to specify class on new sales orders
- With this option checked, the user will be prompted to enter a class when saving a new sales order.
- Force user to specify class on new purchase orders
- With this option checked, the user will be prompted to enter a class when saving a new purchase order.
- Xero category name