The Shipping module, located in the Sales group, facilitates the process of packing and shipping items that have already been picked. Typically, orders are packed before they are shipped, but these steps can be performed simultaneously in Fishbowl if necessary. The Shipping module is also where carton information and carton tracking numbers can be added and modified.
Void will only be visible once an order has been packed or shipped. Void will undo a packed order or a shipped sales order if it has not been exported to the accounting system. Transfer orders and Purchase orders cannot be voided once they have been shipped.
Batch Shipment allows multiple orders to be packed and shipped at the same time.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
Add or modify cartons
After items have been picked, they will appear in the Shipping module. Items can then be placed into cartons/boxes. To change the default container name from Carton to any other value, use the Ship Items tab of the Shipping module options. Follow the instructions below to add cartons to a shipment.
- Open the order in the Shipping module.
- Click the Add button located on the component toolbar to the right.
- Enter the number of new cartons that should be added to the shipment.
- Select a saved carton size, or manually enter the dimensions. Common carton sizes can be saved on the Carton Types tab of the Shipping module options.
- Click OK to add the cartons.
- Items can be moved between cartons by using the Up button and Down button, or by clicking and dragging the items between cartons. Right-clicking an item and selecting Add Carton will automatically add that item to the new carton.
- To split an item, click the item quantity and type a new quantity. The remaining quantity will be split out into a new line.
- After highlighting a carton, the details will be displayed in the Carton Details section below.
- Click the Save button to save all changes.
Pack an order
Once items have been placed into the appropriate cartons, the order can be marked as Packed. An order can be packed by opening the order and clicking the Pack button located on the module toolbar or by right-clicking orders in the search pane and selecting Pack.
An order can also be packed using the import. Once an order has been packed it is ready to Ship.
Ship an order
An order can be shipped by opening the order and then clicking the Ship button located on the module toolbar or by right-clicking orders in the search pane and selecting Ship. This will also pack the order if it has not yet been packed.
- Click the Batch Shipment button located in the module toolbar.
- The orders can be filtered by selecting only the carriers that are currently being shipped. New carriers can be added in the Carrier module.
- Click Next and select the orders that should be shipped.
- Click Finish to complete the selected shipments.
Shipping data can also be imported using the import.
Change shipping costs
The carton shipping cost can be modified in the Carton Details pane at the bottom of the module. Highlight a carton and then enter the shipping cost in the lower pane. Click the Save button in the module toolbar to save the changes.
Pack and ship multiple orders simultaneously
Multiple orders can be packed and/or shipped simultaneously by right-click the orders in the search pane.
To select multiple orders in the search pane, hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard and click each order. Once all of the desired orders are highlighted, right-click on any one of the highlighted orders and select Pack or Ship. Clicking Ship will also pack any of the selected orders that have not yet been packed.
The Batch Shipment button can also be used to ship several orders simultaneously.
In the search pane on the left of the module, shipments can be filtered by Ship Number, Order Number, Order Type, and Status. Additional columns can be displayed in the search results, by right-clicking any column header.
Click the Advanced Search button to search the Custom Fields and the following search options.
The Fishbowl ShipExpress module and the ShipStation module can be downloaded to integrate with nearly all carriers. Fishbowl can also integrate with FedEx, UPS WorldShip, and Endicia by utilizing a technology called Open Database Connectivity or ODBC. See Shipping Integration for more information.
The General tab displays the items and the cartons of the shipment as well as other important shipment information.
- To add a new carton, click the Add button located on the component toolbar to the right.
- Users with the Shipping-Always Edit Address access right can modify the shipment address by clicking the Edit button. The original Ship To address will remain on the order.
The Details tab displays Shipped By, Date Created, Total Number of Cartons, Total Weight, Total Cubic Size, Dimensional Weight, Location Group, and Location.
- Total cubic size is the total volume of all cartons, based on the carton dimensions.
- Dimensional Weight does not correspond to the actual weight of the package. It is an estimated weight based only on the size of the cartons. It is used by many carriers to determine if shipping rates should be based on weight or size. Dimensional weight is calculated by dividing total cubic inches by the customizable weight factor. Many carriers will charge for whichever weight is larger, the actual weight, or the dimensional weight. In other words, if a package is below the recommended density, the billed amount would be based on the size of the box, instead of the actual weight.
- The Signature panel can be used to associate an image with the shipment. This is typically used to capture a signature, when the carrier is Delivery. Fishbowl GO has a Delivery module that allows the signature to be easily saved from a mobile device. The dimensions of the saved image can be customized by clicking the Change image options button.
- Notes can be added to the shipment at the bottom of the Details tab.
The Custom tab stores additional fields for the shipment that can be customized to fit the needs of each company.
- Custom fields can be created and modified by opening the Custom Field module and selecting Ship from the search pane to the left of the module.
- To search for shipments using the custom fields, click the Advanced Search button in the search pane to the left and then click the Custom tab.
- If the Add custom fields option is also enabled in the Sales Order module and the Picking module, custom field data can transfer from the sales order, to the pick, and then to the Shipping module.
Some aspects of the Shipping module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Default weight unit of measure
- This option specifies which weight unit of measure will be used by default in the Shipping module.
- Fulfill service/misc items on ship
- This option allows the default fulfillment behavior to be customized for service and miscellaneous items. Options include Do Nothing, Confirm First, and Auto Fulfill.
- Print the packing list on pack
- This option controls the print behavior of the packing list when an order is packed. Options include Always, Prompt, or Never.
- Print the packing list on ship
- This option controls the print behavior of the packing list when an order is shipped. Options include Always, Prompt, or Never.
- Print shipping invoice on pack
- This option controls the print behavior of the shipping invoice when an order is packed. Options include Always, Prompt, or Never.
- Print shipping invoice on ship
- This option controls the print behavior of the shipping invoice when an order is shipped. Options include Always, Prompt, or Never.
- Batch selection default
- This option controls the type of orders included when using the Batch Shipment feature. Options include Packed, All, or None.
- Default container
- This option allows the shipping container to be renamed (carton, box, etc.).
- Auto pack shipments
- Selecting this option will automatically mark orders as packed.
- Fulfill shipping line items on ship
- This option will automatically fulfill the shipping line items on a Sales Order. If this option is off, shipping items must be manually fulfilled in the Sales Order module.
- Show confirmation on ship
- After clicking the Ship button, a confirmation dialog will be displayed. The ship date can also be set in this dialog.
The confirmation dialog can be bypassed by right-clicking a shipment in the search pane, and selecting Ship.
- Warn user when order has not been paid
- This option will display a warning before packing or shipping an unpaid order.
- Show Paid Stamp
- If an order has been paid, this option will display the word PAID over the ship items, similar to the option for sales orders.
- Dimensional factor
- The dimensional weight factor is used to calculate dimensional weight by dividing the cubic size in inches by the factor. For example, an item with a size of 1 cubit foot (1,728 cubic inches) and the default factor of 166 would have a dimensional weight of 10.4 lbs (1728 ÷ 166=10.4).
- Common carton sizes can be saved and then used when adding cartons.
- Use the buttons on the right to add, edit, or delete carton types.
- The default carton will automatically be selected when adding a carton.
- To save a carton, a user must have the Shipping-Create Carton Type access right.
- The dimensions of an existing carton can be modified in the Carton Details section. To select a saved carton size, click the Search button.
- Send email when shipment is shipped
- There are three options for email behavior when shipping a shipment: Send an email with the Shipping Invoice report, send an email with the Shipping report, or Never send an email. A packing list can be manually emailed by clicking the email button in the Packing List report preview.