Updated versions of Fishbowl are typically released once a month and include new features and improvements. It only requires a few minutes to update Fishbowl and take advantage of the latest changes. Fishbowl also has the ability to push critical updates and patches in the middle of a release cycle. In this case, you will see an update window when starting the Fishbowl server.
- Major updates, such as Fishbowl 2020 to 2021, require a current support contract and an updated license key. On the latest versions of Fishbowl, the license key will be updated automatically. Alternatively, a new key can be obtained instantly by clicking here. Minor updates such as Fishbowl 2021.1 to 2021.2 will continue to work with the previous license key.
- In most cases, backup files are not needed, but it is still highly recommended to copy critical files to the Desktop or another safe location.
- Follow the steps to create a backup of the MySQL database.
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\data\backups and copy the most recent backup file to the Desktop.
- Copy C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\plugins to the Desktop
- Copy C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\database\images to the Desktop
- Copy C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\server\reports to the Desktop
- The auto update settings can be customized in the Fishbowl Server Administration by right-clicking the Fishbowl Server tray icon and selecting Options.
With the auto update, there is no need to run an installer, and in most cases, only a few small files will be downloaded to complete the update. Plugins are automatically updated when Fishbowl is updated to the latest version.
- Fishbowl will display a notification in the client when an update is available. Click Start Server Download to download the update.
- Alternatively, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon, select Check For Updates, and then click Update Fishbowl.
- Restart the server by right-clicking the Fishbowl Server tray icon and selecting Exit.
- Then start the Fishbowl server from the desktop or the list of programs.
- When the server restarts, click Yes to apply the updates.
- Click OK to start the database update.
- All client computers will update automatically when connecting to the updated Fishbowl Server.
- If the auto update fails, follow the instructions here to manually download and install Fishbowl into the same directory where Fishbowl is currently installed.